What is Boerewors?

Cooked boerewors

Boerewors, a type of sausage that originated in South Africa, is a popular staple and an important part of South African cuisine.

It is believed to have been created by Dutch settlers in the 1700s and the name is derived from the Afrikaans/Dutch words boer (“farmer”) and wors (“sausage”).

The sausage must contain at least 90% percent meat, and always contain beef, as well as lamb, pork, or a mixture of lamb and pork. The other 10% is made up of spices and other ingredients. Not more than 30% of the meat content may be fat. The sausage is usually spiced with coriander, nutmeg, cloves, and other spices. Boerewors may not contain offal or any “mechanically recovered” meat pulp (as recovered through a process where meat and bone are mechanically separated).

It is a coil-shaped sausage and often cooked over an open fire, making it a popular choice to serve at barbecues. It can also be grilled or fried and is traditionally served with pap (maize porridge) or on a roll, often with tomato and onion relish. A variety of condiments, such as chutney, mustard, and tomato sauce are a great accompaniments. You could also serve boerewors with a side of salad, potato salad, mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables.

Boerewors is a great way to add some South African flavour to your plate!

Our seasonally produced boerewors is created in limited quantities to guarantee exceptional quality and taste. Want to be the first to know when our next supply of boerewors becomes available? Please sign up here or follow us on Facebook and Instagram for supply updates.